Sunday, August 30, 2009

1st Grade Meet and Greet


So it wasn't technically the first day of school but we did get to walk up and meet the teacher on Friday. I am so dissapointed in public education. I talked to the school about advanced classes for my son but they don't offer anything like that at his school or anywhere in the area. My son is in 1st grade and can do mulitiplication, read at a 3rd grade level and is well above average on most things. He gets this from his dad (i wish I could take credit... but I can't retain information like they can!) School is so easy for him and I think it get's boring for him because all the stuff he is learning he already knows. Anyone ever gone through this? What did you do?

Anyways his teacher seems awesome and she is coming from a 3rd grade class and she said that she would try to challenge him if he is getting bored. I trust that she will, but with 25 other kids it would be hard for her to do that. I WISH we could afford a private school because their are so many wonderful schools in this area but they are just too expensive... and with Ryan starting school next year I don't think it would be in the budget for two kids to go to private school. I wouldn't want to favor one child over the other either... even though Ryan cares less about education at this point in his life! :D He is more like his mommy.... bless his heart....poor kid has no chance!! LOL!

In the meantime for Ryan's education I have put together preschool at home for him. I want him to be able to read and write before kindergarten and I am hoping to obtain my goal. He has the capacity to learn... but the problem is does he have the will.... I can't wait though to start this with him I have so many fun things planned for him. I want him to get excited about education! Get his mind off of TV and the Wii... I swear that is all he thinks about!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This was an interesting post! I would say don't push him too much about reading before Kindergarten. Especially since he isn't as into learning as his brother. I was a kindergarten teacher, and I actually could NOT stand the mothers that had pushed their kids too much. It really works out poorly for some kids and makes them dislike learning. It doesn't sound like your first grader has that problem though. That is just my 2 cents though, and I know very little : )

Taylor said...

That's great that he is so good in school. I really hope his teacher has some tricks up her sleeve for him.

Goodluck with the fun activities for Ryan. Sometimes those activities can seem like playing and not education, I think those are the best.

blogging buddies